Next Meeting is September 17 at Sharon's with Edna

"Home for War Orphans" by Jenna Ness and "West with Giraffes" by Lynda Rutledge

JANUARY 21 Meeting at Edna's

¡Dios mío!, where do I start.  Edna really out did herself.  She had a NY chef (her daughter Angelique) prepare a wonderful Spanish dinner, starting with several Tapas (Spanish appetizers), Sangria and Paella. After dinner Edna quizzed us on the book "The Alchemist" by  Paulo Coelho. "The world's greatest lie: At a certain point in our lives we lose control of what's happening to us and our lives become controlled by fate"  was debated with a split decision.  We also discussed traveling to learn more about other cultures, how religions have a central theme and following one's dream. To round out the Spanish theme,  Angel served us a wonderful dessert of Churros with chocolate dipping sauce. We also had Turtles, oatmeal cookies and baklava brought by several of the bookclub members.
"The Alchemist" was a short simple book about  following ones dream and then finding it in "our own backyard". The book with it's simplicity evoked a wealth of discussion and if it wasn't for the ice storm we could have kept going.

When time allows, I will set up a page to summarize each book that we read.
I have the results from last year's  "top 2":
 #1 "The Glass Castle"
 #2 "Queen of the Big Time".

Next month we will meet at Rosemary's house and read  “Evening Class” by Maeve Binchey.  Stay warm and enjoy the book.

"Adiós a mis amigos "
KAthy G

5 Click here for comments:

Anonymous said...

great job Edna you surely out did yourself or I should say Angel did. She is a great girl Thanks for a great evening Oh yeak the book was very good for open discusssion. Love you guys see you next month

KAthy G said...

I changed the instructions for leaving a comment. Is this better?
If it needs further clarification don't hesitate to let me know.

Grace has been most helpful in correcting my errors and improving this blog.
Thank you, Grace.

KAthy G

Grace said...

Kathy not sure about the summary you have mentioned. I feel so ignorant I wish more people would check this out thanks for a great job well done.
Grace

grace said...

I found the summary and it looks great I must be brain dead.
Grace

alice said...

Thanks for the summary Kathy, I am sorry to have missed it, Edna! see you in Feb. Alice